“Mkulumadzi was the highlight of our trip. This is the best run lodge we have ever been to. The continued attention to detail was fabulous. The quality and presentation of ...”The Robinsons - UK October 2012 more guest feedback
Majete Wildlife Reserve is one of the outstanding success stories of African conservation. Granted protected status in 1955, it became the subject of extensive poaching in the 1980s and 1990s. But a concerted joint effort since 2003 by the African Parks Network and the Malawi government - including the reintroduction of endangered species - has turned it into a model of sustainable development and biodiversity. In 2012 Majete became Malawi’s only Big Five Park.
Located in the south of Malawi, Majete is an area of 70.000 hectares, part of Africa’s Great Rift Valley. The reserve is made up of mature miombo woodlands and granite topped hills that contrast with picturesque river valleys and lush riverine forest. For connoisseurs of wildlife many exciting encounters lie in store, with the chance to view many species including black rhino, leopard, lion, elephant, buffalo, eland, kudu, sable, suni, klipspringer, Lichtenstein’s hartebeest and zebra.
Surrounded by 7,000 hectares of private concession, Mkulumadzi enjoys an idyllic location at the confluence of two rivers shaded by giant leadwood trees. It is the perfect combination of splendid isolation and first-class facilities.
The lodge has eight superb chalets, each with spacious living quarters and private viewing deck. Guests can swim in our pool, dine under the stars, enjoy river cruises, game drives and walking safaris.
Undiscovered by tourists, Majete is a true wilderness where every trip into the bush with our team of experienced guides will feel like an adventure.
Guests arrive by a footbridge suspended over the Mkulumadzi River to discover a friendly welcome and many home comforts. The lodge has a restaurant with indoor and outdoor dining, a lounge and terrace, a bar and shop, swimming pool, viewing deck and a lapa for evening campfires.
The perfect combination of luxury and isolation, Mkulumadzi boasts eight superb chalets set on the banks of the Shire River, shaded by giant leadwood trees and wild mangos. Each chalet has a spacious bedroom and lounge, ensuite bathroom, outdoor shower and private viewing deck where guests can sit back and marvel at the sights and sounds of the river.
The bush chalets are luxurious and spacious with contemporary furnishings, some crafted from locally-sourced materials. They are flooded with natural light, giving you the sense of being in the forest without compromising your comfort and privacy.
There is also an outdoor shower with a large rain shower where guests can enjoy the sensation of bathing under a waterfall. The shower is open to the surrounding bush with stone-clad walls for privacy.
Each chalet has a sloping vegetated roof planted with indigenous species such as succulents, aloes, shrubs and grasses. This minimises their impact on the environment and keeps them cool in the hot season.
Game drives and walking safaris are offered in the mornings and late afternoons, giving guests plenty of time to relax beside the pool, gaze at the resident bird population or listen to the grunt of hippos wallowing in the river. Afternoon tea is served on the terrace and on most nights dinner is served beneath the stars.
· our staff are ready to take you on exciting game drives each morning. Longer excursions are also offered with a packed breakfast or lunch, perfect for exploring the far reaches of Majete.
· exploring Majete on foot is highly recommended. The routes that follow the Mkulumadzi and Shire River are especially scenic with an abundance of birdlife and large mammals. Early mornings are the best - and coolest - times for walking. We also offer an escorted hike to the top of Chimwala hill.
· a boat trip on the Shire River is a relaxing way to view wildlife. The lush banks of the Shire are popular with elephant and buffalo; hippo and crocodile sightings are guaranteed and birdlife is abundant. A morning or afternoon boat trip is offered as an alternative to a game drive.
· from the seclusion of a comfortable hide overlooking a waterhole guests can experience the thrill of watching animals coming to drink. An excellent photographic opportunity with buffalo, elephant, black rhino, sable antelope and eland all regular visitors to the waterhole.
· a visit to a nearby village and community centre offers guests a chance to experience Malawi outside of Majete, to understand local culture and to share people’s experiences of living alongside a wildlife reserve.
Mkulumadzi is the ideal destination for your family holiday, having no age restriction and plenty of family friendly activities on offer.
Located on the Shire & Mkulumadzi Rivers, it is the perfect spot for children to explore the natural beauty of Malawi and learn about the local fauna and flora.
Our friendly guides and staff are on hand to ensure that you get the most out of your time with us. We offer daily activities that the whole family can participate in – game drives, nature walks, boating safaris on the Shire River, picnic lunches and trips in to the surrounding communities to experience what life in Malawi is all about.
Our large rock-edged swimming pool is a great spot for children to spend a few hours playing and cooling off in the heat of the day.
Special activities for children at Mkulumadzi:
· short nature walks to identify spoor and droppings, collect pods, seeds and feathers.
· fishing in the Mkulumadzi & Shire Rivers.
· painting and colouring-in books.
· visits to African Parks Wildlife and Education centre where children can learn about the park, it’s wildlife and the surrounding communities.
· marshmallow roasting over the campfire after (or before!) dinner.
Services available to families include:
· special meal times and age appropriate meal choices.
· private double en-suite family unit with large deck overlooking the Shire River.
· we can provide a nanny to sit with your children during the day or in the evening.
Mkulumadzi is the only upmarket accommodation in Majete Wildlife Reserve, Malawi’s only Big Five Reserve, within a 7000 hectares private concession. A good mix of game makes the game viewing quite enjoyable with a variety of some interesting rare antelope species. Regularly viewed game being elephant, buffalo, eland, sable, nyala, bushbuck, kudu, Lichtensteins hartebeest, waterbuck, impala, suni, grysbok, klipspringer, yellow baboon, vervet monkey, thick-tailed bushbaby, bushpig, warthog, dwarf mongoose, porcupine, spotted hyena, serval, genet and civet.
As the norm of Robin Pope Safaris operations, the guest/guide ratio stands at an unmatched 4:1; this affords you maximum flexibility and choice of activity. One can choose from a great combination of activities inclusive of game drives, walking, boating safaris, conservation and cultural tours plus hiking.
On a green note the lodge is fully solar powered (with a back-up generator for those cloudy days). Acknowledging the temperatures that sour certain times of year but keeping in line with our carbon footprint, we have environmentally friendly ‘evening breeze’ air-conditioned beds. Even the architecture of the property which has very spacious chalets, each unit has vegetated roofs for additional cooling and blending in with the environment.
Bonus for Mkulumadzi is we are open all year round and can easily be accessed by both road and air – so visit us anytime of year!
Mkulumadzi is a secluded luxury property with first-class facilities.
It is the little things that make a difference – a belief that we hold close and a comment which comes back time and time again. One of the biggest “little things” is the team who are there to make your holiday amazing.
As part of our responsible tourism policy we employ a team of staff mainly from the local community whom we bring through the system and teach and train as we go. From the guides who share their extensive knowledge and passion about the bush to our chefs tempting you at every turn with mouthwatering treats, we’ve built a team that we believe in but that also love what they do and have a great time doing it.