“It was great! The staff at Luangwa Safari House are nicer than my mother! ...”Jenna Wilson (9 years old) - UK January 2011 more guest feedback
Quality time has become a rarity in most modern homes. We offer safaris that provide families with this much needed rarity; accommodating all ages.
Our Safari Houses provide the additional element of exclusiveness/privacy if needed as well. We consider these as homes away from home – coming with fully serviced and staffed houses.
Robin Pope Safaris teams throughout the camps, lodges and houses have contagious enthusiasm and offer family friendly activities in addition to the ‘normal’ game viewing ones. All safaris that take children offer age appropriate activities, keeping the whole family entertained.
At Nkwali Camp, Luangwa River Camp, Stanley Safari Lodge, Pumulani, Mkulumadzi as well as the houses, Robin's House and Luangwa Safari House, we welcome children. There are also other camps throughout Zambia and Malawi that welcome children so a family safari is very possible. We believe that children should be catered for and as such specific programs are designed for them depending on their ages and interests. There is a whole range of family safari activities available including game drives and nature walks to learn to identify animal spoor and droppings, birding for beginners and learning to use spotlights at night.
Families want to do activities together but sometimes it's "time out" and a child wants to stay behind. We can look after and entertain them. Other activities available include safari packs with fun quizzes and puzzles, trips to nearby villages to meet local children, helping out in camp or playing games around the property. The older boys may enjoy playing sport (beach cricket) or even having a sleep in, lazy morning and fry up by the pool (each of our above mentioned properties has a pool).
The houses are an ideal place to stay as the privacy they afford means your family can be totally relaxed and feel at home.
Children’s activities and services:
· Child minding during the day and in the evening
· Special meal times and food appropriate to the age of the children
· Nature walks to collect pods, seeds and feathers
· Visits to the camp kitchen, helping the chefs make cakes, biscuits
· Paper and greeting card making
· Painting and drawing
· Face painting
· Swimming games and races
· Visits to nearby villages
· And for South Luangwa, a trip to Chimpembele Wildlife Education centre
· Robin’s House, Stanley Safari Lodge, Pumulani & Mkulumadzi - children of all ages are welcome
· Nkwali Camp, Luangwa River Camp and Luangwa Safari House - 7 years and over
· Tena and Nsefu Camps - 12 years and over
· Walking Mobile Safaris and Bush Camping - 16 years and over if booked by the same group - 21 years and over if joining another group of guests.
Some hints to make your family safari the best:
· take a couple of magic tricks to have fun with the staff, or anyone you meet in the local community
· a back pack for each child with their choice of games, colouring books, toys, story CD's / tapes
· a notebook for each child to write down the game they see
· ballpoint pens if visiting schools
· a cheap pair of binoculars for each child
· easy reference child friendly colour photo bird & mammal books
· And … try the sun block, malarial pills on children before you go, to see if they react against them.
Depends on package chosen but there is something for everyone. Also see our rates/other packages for an idea of pricing.