Find your answer to our Frequently Asked Questions right here

safari people


What is a safari?
A safari is an experience to see wildlife in its natural habitat. Often led by trained guides (they ensure safety of participants and respect for the wildlife and ecosystems) and can be done on foot, vehicle, boat and sometimes horseback and bicycles too. This can be a day or multi-day experience.

What to wear on safari?
On a safari, it’s best to wear neutral-coloured clothes made of lightweight, breathable fabric. Dressing in layers will help you adjust to the day’s changing temperatures. Remember to bring a wide-brimmed hat for sun protection and sturdy, closed-toe shoes for safety.

What to pack for an African safari?
For an African safari, ensure to pack binoculars, a camera, sunscreen, a hat, lightweight clothing, and sturdy shoes. Don’t forget any necessary medication, insect repellent, and sunglasses.

Pack soft bags, not hard cases. DO NOT exceed the limit of 15 kg for hold luggage and 5 kg for hand luggage. Most properties offer laundry service, so you will not need too many clothing options. Click here for a handy packlist.

Can I go on a game drive on day of arrival?
Yes in most cases you can but it depends on the time of your arrival. The transfer from the airport to the camp is usually a game drive in itself!

When are the migratory birds in these areas?
Migratory birds in Zambia and Malawi are with us from November through to around April and for Zimbabwe it is from August to late January. See wildlife sections of the different regions for details.

man with pillows


What type of plugs are at your properties?
Three pin square UK plugs.

What kind of supplies are offered in the rooms (hairdryers, shampoo, etc)?
Shampoo, soap, body lotion, facial tissues and insect repellent can be found in the rooms as well as hair dryers in some of the camps but not all (Nsefu, Tena Tena, Mkulumadzi, Kuthengo Camp, John’s Camp and walking trails do not have).

Do the rooms have mosquito nets and is there repellent available?
All rooms have mosquito nets (Tena Tena and John’s Camp tents are mosquito proof when closed – at Tena Tena mosquito nets are available on request). Insect repellent is also available in all rooms across all the camps. Mobile Walking Safari tents & Luangwa Bush Camping tents do not have mosquito nets.

south luang background

Seasons & weather

When is the best time to travel and what to expect?
There is no actual ‘best’ time to visit. We have very distinct seasons, each with its own unique appeal; so ‘best’ time is largely dependent on your specific interests. Please see the Seasons and Climate tabs for ZambiaMalawi and  Zimbabwe for the highlights of each season.

What is the weather like?
The dry months are from April – October. May and June being the main winter months where temperature drops slightly; requiring you to pack a light jacket/fleece or two. The wet months are November – March; with rainfall mainly falling by night, making it still a good time for game viewing activities. Temperatures range throughout the year from between 11-40˚C.

Medical, phone & internet

What anti-malaria drugs are recommended?
Doxycycline or Malarone currently; but we do recommend that you consult your usual GP or Travel Clinic for up to date information.

Is Lake Malawi bilharzia free?
Bilharzia can be found in certain areas of Lake Malawi. We have been testing the vicinity of Pumulani on a regular basis and the tests have been clear.

Is there mobile phone network coverage?
Very limited access in the lodges and no access in the bush camps.

Is there internet available at the camps?
Zambia: Dongles available at Robin’s House, Luangwa Safari House, Nkwali Camp and Luangwa River Camp, Tena Tena Camp with limited internet access during siesta time. Generally no access at Nsefu Camp, Mobile Walking and Luangwa Bush Camping.

Malawi: All our Malawi properties have internet access, either in the room or in the Main areas.

John’s Camp has limited internet access.


How much does an African safari cost?
Costs for an African safari vary widely depending on factors like location, accommodations, duration, time of year and activities included. Our safaris start from US$320 per person per day. We recommend enquiring for more detailed quote.

Are credit cards accepted as a form of payment at Robin Pope Safaris?
Credit cards are only accepted at the Zambian camps (by filling out a form – 5% surcharge) and at Pumulani (Visa Card – 5% surcharge. Signal permitting).

How much are the park costs?
Park costs range from $10-$110 per person per day depending on the camp, these include national park fees and Conservation & Community Fees.

How much tip should I give?
Tipping is generally not expected but always enthusiastically received if you are happy with the service. We recommend US$5 per person per night for camp staff and the same for guides.


What are the transfer times between Robin Pope Safaris’ camps?
Depending on which camp you are visiting, it is an average of a 2 hour transfer time between the Zambian camps but normally transfers are done as a game drive transfer.

In Malawi transfer time between the Malawi properties is varying from 2,5 -6 hours.

Transfers between Zambia properties to Malawi properties are about 6 hours (depending on whether air or road transfers are used).

John’s Camp in Zimbabwe is approximately 7 hours from the South Luangwa properties, or 6 hours from Lusaka (dependent on flight times, boat/road transfers, border procedures and traffic).

Travel - visa requirements Zambia

The following countries do not need a visa when entering Zambia: United Kingdom, United States of America, European Union, Canada, Norway, Australia, China, Japan, South Korea & The Gulf States.

Other nationals from countries not listed above can obtain their visa at the point of entry into Zambia. Current charges are $25. If you are not one of the above, please ask about visas before booking. You can also visit the Zambian Immigration website for full information.

A common tourist visa has been re-introduced for Zambia and Zimbabwe – the Kavango Zambezi Trans-frontier Conservation Area (KAZA) UNIVISA. The US$50 visa is valid for 30 days and allows the bearer to enter both Zambia and Zimbabwe. Full details including ports of entry issuing the visa, eligible countries and more are available here.




Travel - Visa requirements Malawi

For Malawi, all travellers must be in possession of a valid passport when entering and leaving the country. Please refer to this document or do check with Department of Immigration Malawi if you require a visa for entry. All nationals that require visa to enter Malawi may apply online for an e-visa. This can be verified on this link.

When applying for the visa you will need to submit an invitation letter which we are happy to assist with! We would need the following information for the letter:

Name of Traveller, Date of Birth, Passport Number, Date of issue, Date of expiry, Nationality.

Currently the visa fees available at the ports of entry are as follows:
Transit (valid for 7 days) – US$50
Single entry (valid for 3 months) – US$50
Multiple entry (valid for 6 months) – US$150
Multiple entry (valid for 12 months) – US$250

Please do always refer to the Malawi Department of Immigration website for up-to-date details.

Travel - Visa requirements Zimbabwe

Citizens of  most Southern African countries including South Africa do not require visas to enter Zimbabwe. Other passport holders do need visas, which can usually be purchased at your point of entry. Fees differ according to country of residence.
Canadian passports: Single entry – US$75 | British and Irish passports: Single entry – US$55 (or equivalent in ZAR or GBP); Double entry – US$70 | Other passports (USA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand): Single entry – US$30 (or equivalent in ZAR or GBP); Double entry – US$45 (or equivalent). Zimbabwe immigration visa website link

A common tourist visa has been re-introduced for Zambia and Zimbabwe – the Kavango Zambezi Trans-frontier Conservation Area (KAZA) UNIVISA. The US$50 visa is valid for 30 days and allows the bearer to enter both Zambia and Zimbabwe. Full details including ports of entry issuing the visa, eligible countries and more are available here.

Other - Community projects

What to bring for community projects?
Anything from books and stationery to clothes and toys. Cash donations are also accepted. Please ask us as well for updated ‘wish list’ from the projects we support.

If you save just a few kilos of space in your suitcase and take supplies for the projects we support, you’ll most certainly make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families.


Other - Children

Can I bring my children?
Can I bring my children?’ Children of all ages are allowed at Robin’s House, Pumulani, Kuthengo Camp and Mkulumadzi. The rest of our properties have a minimum age limit of 7 years except for Tena Tena, Nsefu and John’s Camp whose minimum age limit is 12 years (unless booked exclusively).

As for the walking trails, Luangwa Bush Camping is minimum 16 yrs and Walking Mobile Safari is 21 years minimum.

There are many more properties we work with who also accept children across Zambia, Malawi and Zimbabwe, so there are a good number of options for families to choose and combine with.

Mobile Walking Safari robin Pope Safaris

Other - Cancellation and emergency

What is your cancellation policy?
Confirmation to 91 days 20% of accommodation only is due, then of full invoice 90-61 days 25%, 60-31 days 50%, 30- 0 days 100%. Cancellation fees will be applied and so we ask that you ensure full “Trip Cancellation Insurance” is bought at time of confirmation.

What are your emergency contact numbers?

+260 (0) 957 090 441 and + 260 (0) 765023939 – the latter is also available on WhatsApp.